Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day 2012



I thought I would take this opportunity to share some of the great DIY "green" recipes that I love!


Basic Laundry Detergent:

1 bar Sunlight soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

Mix all together in a container.  Use 1 tbsp per normal load.  The more finely grated the Sunlight soap bar, the colder the water you can use.  I used this recipe for a couple of years until we replaced our old washer with a HE-washer.  Apparently I can use this same detergent (as they claim it is low-sudsing) but I haven't tested it with my new washer yet :)

Basic Hair Shampoo:

1/4 cup Castile Soap
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp oil (suggested: jojoba, avocado)

Mix together in a bottle, shake before each use.  FYI - you only need to use a small amount.

Window Cleaner:

Club Soda

Spray and wipe just like Windex.

~ Two NEW Recipes I will try this year ~

Dishwasher Soap:

1 part borax
1 part washing soda

Mix in a container and use in place of commercial detergent.  If you live in a hard-water area, you may have to adjust the proportions to avoid formation of soap film on the dishes - try adding a bit more soda if there is a film residue.

Mouthwash:

1/2 cup water
2 tsp baking soda
2 drop tea tree oil (food grade)
2 drops peppermint oil (food grade)

Mix together in a container.  Shake before using.

Feel free to share your "green" recipes!

Nicole




No comments:

Post a Comment